Lost in translation

Me, not the movie

Friday, March 18, 2005

Mar adentro (aka The Sea Inside)

Is it a coincidence that this year's academy awards for best film and best foreign film both go to movies that deal with, if not promote, euthanasia? Although I'm totally against euthanasia, I enjoyed both movies very much. It's one - well, in this case two - of the very few times where I like the depiction of an idea that I don't accept. Regardless of the fact that I already had a position on that issue before watching each of the two movies, just watching such an intense drama inspires tough questions whose answers would have seemed trivial a few hours before stepping into the theatre and watching the movie.
So, which of the two is better? I don't know, and I don't care. That whole thing of "comparing" movies, or other pieces of art, doesn't make much sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home